Where are the biological sciences going?
Roma Meeting - Preliminary Program:
Wednesday 25 – Friday 27, October 2017
Honorary presidents of the Meeting: Carlos Sonnenschein, Ana Soto.
Organizing Committee: Systems Biology Group Lab, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy.
Marta Bertolaso, Alessandro Giuliani.
Conference secretariat: Simona Dinicola, Sara Proietti, Virginia Todde, Maria Grazia Masiello, Andrea Pensotti
Organized by: VINCERE association for Scientific Research and ORGANISMS Journal of Biological Sciences
Sponsorship: Sapienza University, Rome.
Location: Urbaniana University, Rome
- Why are we here? Are the Biological Sciences stuck in a bottleneck?
- Discussion of theories, perspectives and strategies.
Wednesday 25 October
08.30 Welcoming addresses:
Eugenio Gaudio – Sapienza University, Dean
Cataldo Zuccaro – Urbaniana University
Mariano Bizzarri – Sapienza University: Rethinking Science
09.00 Session I – State of the art in biology
Chairpersons: Y. Soen and Y. Lazebnik
- Manfred Drack: Organisms versus machines: the role of reductionism
- Erez Braun: Universality, complexity and the praxis of biology
10.00 - 11.00 Discussion
11.00 - 11.30 Coffee break
11.30 Session II - On living organisms: a foundational perspective
Chairpersons: S. Koutrofinis and I. Licata
- Raphael Vicuňa: Current thoughts on the origin of the organismic life
12.00 - 12.30 Discussion
12.30 – 13.30 Lunch
13.30 – 15.00 Session IV – Poster discussion
Chairpersons: R. Taramelli and A. Colosimo
Short Communications: A. Laffranchi – N. Cherdyntseva – O. Naimark – C. Rauch – R. Taramelli – J. Brabek – A. Pensotti - G. Gorga - S. Melino.
15.00 - 18.30 Visit to Fori Imperiali (Christine Balzamonti – Tour Guide)
19.45 – 22.00 Social Dinner “Al Colosseo”
Thursday 26 October
8.30 Session III – The meaning of Systems Biology
Chairpersons: S. Filippi and O. Naimark
- Kumar Selvarajoo: Microscopic and Macroscopic Insights from Dynamic Cell Behavior
- Olaf Wolkenhauer: Where are the biological sciences heading? Not in my direction
- Giuseppe Longo: Emergence and reduction in physics and biology
10.00 - 10.40 Discussion
10.40 - 11.00 Coffee break
11.00 - 12.00
- Alessandro Giuliani: Where to look for interesting biological facts
- Lilia Alberghina: Complex biological functions: Systems Biology approach
12.00 - 12.40 Discussion
12.40 - 13.15 Lunch
14.15 Session IV – On living organisms: a foundational perspective
Chairpersons: M. Montévil and R. Negri
- Scott Gilbert: A Biology of Relationships and Composite Individuals
- Ana Soto: From the century of the genome to the century of the organism: New theoretical approaches
15.15 - 16.15 Discussion
19.00 - 20.00 Welcoming cocktail - light dinner (P.za del Popolo, Roma Investment Foundation)
Friday 27 October
08.30 Session IV – Re-thinking carcinogenesis from an organismic perspective
Chairpersons: E. Jablonka and B. Rosslenbroich
- Fojo Antonio T.
- Carlos Sonnenschein: Crisis in biology. Its impact on development and carcinogenesis
09.30 -10.00 Discussion
10.00 -10.30 Coffee break
10.30 – 11.30 Session V - Epistemological aspects of integrative biology.
Chairpersons: A. Paldi and M. Mossio
- Silvia Caianello Robustness and Organismic Levels
- Marta Bertolaso Biological Complexity and Scientific Practice in Cancer Research
11.30 - 12.00 Discussion
12.00 - Concluding remarks – Carlos Sonnenschein and Ana Soto
Wednesday 25 October:
16.30 - 18.30 SATELLITE SYMPOSIUM:
Listening to one another: why theologians and scientists should engage in a fruitful conversation.
Lecture: G. Tanzella-Nitti.
Discussants: Scott F. Gilbert, Y. Lazebnik, N. Cherdyntseva, A. Giuliani.
Chairperson: P. Ramellini.